Vickie, it’s been a long time

On Saturday I went out with a couple of high school pals. We went to my friend’s new house – lovely! Got to see her kids whom I hadn’t seen in such a long time – they’re adorable. Then we went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant (had a young, surly gal waiting on us – I think she was jealous of our vibrancy – plain and simple) and did a little shopping. The malls are open until 10 p.m. now which is kind of cool. Now if I could just get my bank to stay open past 5 p.m., I’d be in business (or “bidness” as my boss likes to say).


We went to Vera Bradley. It was kind of funny because neither of my friends had ever been to a Vera store and they were kind of just waiting for me to get done and leave. They were saying things like, “Did you see how much that rug is??!!” “If you let me pay $10.40 for this pen, you’ve got yourself a deal.” Just not their style. By the way, did I mention that they are largely unfiltered? They just say what’s on their mind. This, to me, is refreshing.


We then went on to a store I haven’t visited or purchased anything since the 90’s – Victoria’s Secret. I’m afraid to truly analyze why I don’t shop here anymore. Part of it is that “the girls” don’t have a lot of choices here (and they’re not picky). So we walk in past the fragrances and body lotion, spray, wash. In search of: a bra for one of my friends. She ended up getting two of a particular kind (it does this, it does that, it’s comfortable, it doesn’t show, it slims, it enhances, it’s filled with air – you get the gist). She was going to get black and white. But then, she was told by my other friend that white bras are passé’. Confirmed by the clerk, she got a flesh-colored one. This is where I think it’s quite pricey - $48 for a bra. Wow. It better be comfortable! I just kind of walked around and tried to look interested in the merch. Then it was on to the underwear. I then helped my friend find “5 for $25” panties. I find myself saying,”Oh, these look cute with the little red Christmas trees. Oh no, look at these, even better.” So we found 5 and off we went to get a free pair for the other friend because she had a coupon/card for a free pair and a discount if you purchased “X” amount. And, today only, she was going to score a free tote bag!! Hello! Free stuff alert! We gals are such suckers. Then, for some reason we ended up having a discussion about thongs. The “free pair friend” wears them with regularity. Again, I found myself saying things that I wouldn’t think I would normally say. “How can you do that? Does it feel like you have something stuck in there?” Her answer was,”Oh no. If you get the kind with a satin finish, you can’t even feel it. You don’t even feel like you’re wearing underwear.” Just a bubble above my head with question marks remained. “Wouldn’t your husband love it??!!” I said,”Ah no, he would say, ’How much was that?’ He doesn’t care if I have rhinestones on my tush, he just wants me nekid.” So, they walked out of the store with 2 bras, 6 pair of panties and another coupon. I walked out with a new appreciation for my husband’s practicality.


Times have changed for me – Vickie and I no longer walk hand-in-hand. But my friends haven’t – they are still my friends and they are a laugh riot.


P.S. If anyone is in need of a pair of angel wings (lightly used), let me know ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roll the Dice

Fame

What Would You Rather?